Friday, October 16, 2009

Sweeping Changes

We've completed E's testing. We were testing for what we already knew. I suppose just a confirmation needed to be made to ease our minds. Odd, we don't even need to see the report now. Its like the light bulb finally completely turned on for us. Some times a person just has that "aha" moment.

There was been one heart break and issue after another with our experiment with putting E. in the school system. Now, we knew that we were putting him there to give him a shot at hanging out with kids his own age even though all our previous experiments with kids his age had been a bit of a bust. It certainly wasn't for the "education". He's got a core group of friends that he has grown up with and they are fairly accepting of him and don't think he's an alien. With them E. can be himself and have a good time.

At school, that's a whole different matter. Even the teacher treats him poorly based on her obtuse view point. Really, when did they narrow a teacher's scope so horribly? Teach to the lowest common denominator and paint children with too broad a brush because you simply don't have time or resources to see a child for who he/she is, a unique individual. Shame.

So yesterday after having an upsetting conversation while holding a shivering toddler and watching E. squirm and wring his hands next to the teacher. After having been lied to for over a month about E's progress in school, I stood up on my hind legs and yanked my son out of their reach. No more! No more listening to other people tell me about my son when they haven't got even the slightest clue what the under lying issues are. Not that this teacher (I use the term loosely too) even cared. As far as she was concerned my son was the only obstacle to her having an easy ride. Piss on her. She's lucky I didn't rip her a new on right there inside the gate!

My husband however, cannot be deterred from giving her the what for. He's got an appointment with the principal and he's lodging a complaint and having him officially withdrawn from the school. I can't bare to be there because I know myself too well. I'd be frothing at the mouth and that helps no one. I believe my son's account of his last month in that class. I believe that it was a wasted venture and now I have to concentrate on moving forward and ironing out the damage that was inflicted.

OK, yep that means I'm home schooling. I've been assuming all along that I'd need to do this at some point. Either as a stop gap measure until he could be taken into a private school or until he was old enough to return to the public system in an accelerated program. I cringe thinking about doing that again. I woke up this morning after having had a tortured day yesterday and actually felt awesome!

I am relieved. The next steps are the easy ones. This morning E. is smiling and laughing. Having a great time. Its nice to see his shoulders relax. He isn't chewing on his things today. He isn't wringing his hands. He went to bed last night sobbing and clinging saying that he didn't want to be kicked out of school. He must have thought that he did something bad, or that he was a bad kid. Not at all. He's a diamond!

So much to plan for! I am excited! This is a beautiful sweeping change. I don't look at it as a failure. I see it as an opportunity. I'm taking the road less traveled! Typical for me isn't it! LOL

The plan for the day....gee interesting concept.

Breakfast: Kashi with milk, coffee vitamins
Lunch: Homemade Turkey Veg Barley Soup
Dinner: Grilled Chicken Breast, wild rice pilaf and broccoli rabe w/peppers & garlic

Things to get done: Make E.'s bowling cake, going to try fit a run in either before dinner or before the kids go to bed. Sew the molded ears and chef's hat onto E's Remy costume. Most important....HAVE FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment