Saturday, January 16, 2010

Middle of January

It's really hard to believe that its the middle of January. This weather almost feels like a cruel tease. When I used to live in Bloor West Village there were florist shops on every corner. In January it seemed that every one of them had spring flowers displayed. You couldn't swing a cat without it hitting tulips or daffodils. Irises and Narissus. It was too cruel. I'd start dreaming about spring and then next thing you know. Five feet of snow. I'm expecting for the beautiful weather we are getting now there will be a big frosty price to pay.

I was up until 2 am reading the last of that book. Sadly, I didn't get to sleep later as a result. It was a lovely but predictable sample of chicklit. I awoke to L. screaming and E. protesting. Both boys were fighting over trains and not quiet about it, at all. The good news is that hubby got to sleep until 7 am which is not a half bad hour.

I sat with a cup of coffee for a few minutes but then realized that if I didn't make breakfast right away I was in definite danger of not eating breakfast and that likely would have caused a bad cascading effect for the rest of the day. I took my spelt pancake recipe and added in frozen blueberries, flax and hemp seed. A lovely effect! Everyone joined me. I managed to save four of these dollar pancakes for tomorrow's breakfast.

After breakfast we cleaned up and headed out to chapters. I was looking for a good book on nutrition. Something really "granola". I couldn't find one to fit my expectations. I was likely looking in the wrong section and instead of the food section, I should have been searching in the health section. Apparently, to large chain stores, (and this should come as no surprise) nutrition does not necessarily mean food. I grabbed a kashi bar on my way out the door and treated myself to a Grande decafe non-fat latte with cinnamon while I browsed for a new book. I came home with this one. I had heard a good deal about it.

I'm not looking for a "drop the weight" diet. I know that my weight will only be corrected with hard work and vigilance. I also know that there is something keeping me from feeling well and was hoping that it might shed some light on what I might be able to do to support my efforts. If there were a way of eating, not less or but rather, better. In a strategic way to boost my energy over the course of the day.

We didn't get home in time to eat lunch nor we were terribly hungry. The coffee having filled us up. I took that opportunity to try my home made yogurt. Topped with kashi cereal, blueberries, hemp and honey it was SINFUL!!! OMG I'll never buy store bought yogurt again!



Dinner: Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers, Camembert Mashed Potatoes and the obvious steamed broccoli. I sure made up for not having lunch. This portion was in fact, much too large and half was leftover for tomorrow's lunch. Which is nice because I'm not sure how much energy I'll have in reserve tomorrow after a long run.

I should dash off now and help get the kids to bed. The plan for the rest of the night is a cup of green tea, one hour of moon salutations and thirty minutes of reading. Then by 10-10:30 pm, lights out!

No comments:

Post a Comment